Phase 1 construction is underway! This is very exciting and it also means that getting around the Ballfield Road campus has changed. When you walk, cycle, or drive to the school, you’ll notice more green stormwater barriers and more fencing. The school is situated in the middle of wetlands and the barriers are there to protect the stream and wetlands from construction debris. We ask for your help in keeping these barriers intact both to protect our water and to help us avoid the expense of replacing broken barriers. Thank you for your patience!
Yesterday, 282 registered voters came together under a huge tent on a brilliant June morning for Town Meeting. The SBC is grateful to the community for approving the additional funds for the project – we know it was not an easy decision, and the show of support for the warrant article was very much appreciated!
After Town Meeting was over (only 90 minutes!), members of the SBC, the School Committee, other boards and committees, and our project team marked the official start of construction with some photos on the center field. We thank the representatives from SMMA, Daedalus, and Consigli for attending Town Meeting and supplying us with nifty hard hats and ceremonial shovels. We’re also grateful to Tyler Ory for his excellent drone photography – if we weren’t wearing masks, there would more than one photo of everyone gaping as it flew overhead!
Most importantly, we thank all of you. It has taken a lot of engagement and support from residents to get us to this point. We look forward to sharing the project’s progress as it unfolds!
SBC Meeting on Wednesday, 7:00pm, via Zoom
Link to meeting will be posted with the agenda on Monday. Agendas and minutes can be found here.
Link to the 2nd SBC Forum on June 8th:
Town Meeting will be live-streamed on Facebook!
You DO NOT need to have a Facebook account. Just click the link below on Saturday morning (9:30am). REMEMBER, you may watch remotely, but there is no way to ask questions or vote remotely (per state law).
With fingers crossed for blue skies and gentle breezes, we are ready for Town Meeting on Saturday!
Logistics – see campus map below
- 8:15 Voter check-in begins
- Voters will get a pre-assembled packet with handouts, voting card, paper, and a pencil for writing down questions
- There will be a first aid station with hand sanitizer, extra masks, water, etc.
- Volunteers who are handing things out will be wearing gloves and masks
- 9:30 Town Meeting begins
- Finance Committee FY21 Budget presentation
- SBC memo that was mailed with the warrant
- Video of SBC Public Forum
- SBC Town Meeting handout
- Annual Town Meeting page of the Town website – includes additional presentations and materials from the Finance Committee, Capital Planning Committee, Community Preservation Committee, School Building Committee, and Water Commission
Take a virtual tour of the school!
Lincoln Middle School Principal, Sharon Hobbs, created a video documenting each room of the school as it currently looks. It’s about 40 minutes long, and the 1st half features the Smith School and the 2nd half Brooks. It will be fun to compare the “before and after” in 2 years’ time. Thank you, Sharon!
- The elementary school has been moved into the temporary classrooms
- The middle school has moved into the Smith end of the building
- Construction fencing is going up
- Earth is being moved
- Click here to see photos!
Just for Fun – How do you secure a tent that big?