One of the interesting challenges in designing the interior is finding a way to update the building’s look while working with existing cabinetry, walls, and tiles that are being reused. The slide below shows photos of two current elementary classrooms:
The floors will be replaced, but as a cost saving measure the cabinets will remain. To work with these colors, SMMA is proposing the following materials:
Below are images that show how the school will be transformed! To see the whole presentation, click here.
At last Wednesday’s meeting, EwingCole and SMMA shared the latest updates to both interior and exterior designs for the center part of the school. The presentation (which can be seen in its entirety here) included:
- Light studies of the Learning Commons: The Learning Commons have an east to west orientation, and light control is important in the early morning and late afternoon. The SBC reviewed two options for exterior shading, and chose the horizontal fin screen pictured in the images. There will also be internal shades to allow light to be blocked out for presentations.
- Exterior studies of building materials.
- Interior studies of the new Media Center and the corridor that will connect the Learning Commons to the Smith end of the building (the “K – 4 Gallery”).
- May 28th: Planning Board, 7pm, Town Offices. This is the initial review of the plan for the modulars. The Conservation Committee approved the plans on May 22nd.
- June 5th: School Building Committee, 7pm, Hartwell.
- June 11th: Planning Board, 7pm, Town Offices. Final hearing and vote to approve the plan for the modulars.
Reminder that this week’s SBC meeting is in the Donaldson Room, Town Offices.
Wednesday, May 22nd, 7pm: SBC Meeting,
Donaldson Room, Town Offices
Included on this week’s agenda:
- Review updated floor and site plans
- Review updated exterior elevations
- Review construction logistics plan
- Review monthly budget
- Updates from sub committees
Modulars: Last Wednesday the SBC approved the contract for the modular classrooms that will become the home of our K – 4 students during the 2020/21 and 2021/22 school years. The bid for the modulars came in within budget, and preparations for installation will begin about July 8th!
May 22nd – Updated Designs: The SBC will see the latest updates to the exterior elevations, floor plans, and site plans at the May 22nd meeting. NOTE: Due to the District Art Show, the May 22nd SBC meeting will be held in the Donaldson Room, Town Offices. (Be sure to see our students’ amazing art – drop by the Hartwell building between May 13th and May 21st!)
May 22nd – SBC @ Conservation Commission: As part of the permitting process for the project, ConCom will hold a second hearing and vote on the plans for the temporary classrooms.
After a couple of extra weeks off, the SBC is back to its every other week schedule.
Wednesday, May 8th, 7:00pm, Hartwell multipurpose room.
On the agenda:
- Review Construction Documents phase schedule
- Review updated monthly budget
- Review construction logistics plan
Next meeting is on May 22nd.
The consensus of three independent cost estimates is that the project continues to be on budget! The Design Development phase is now drawing to a close, and the Construction Documents (CD) phase begins. The next round of cost estimates will been at “60% CD,” which means when the construction documents are 60% complete.
At Wednesday’s meeting, our construction team from Consigli presented an updated project schedule. The schedule represents a lot of think about a wide range of details. The Logistics Sub Group, comprised of design and construction team members, along with our school admin and facilities team, will continue to refine the schedule and consider all aspects of the project: construction staging areas; safe traffic flow for cars, buses, construction vehicles, and pedestrians; wetlands and tree protection, etc. See the presentation here.
The chart below gives an overview of the latest information about how the project affects different grades and the community over the next several years. Refinements of the plan will continue!
- April 22nd: The Site Sub Committee will meet at 9am, Hartwell multipurpose room.
- April 24th: SBC meeting has been CANCELLED. This meeting was in place for value engineering. Due to the positive news about the budget estimates, it is not needed. Next SBC meeting is on May 8th.
- April 25th: Outreach Committee meeting is CANCELLED.
- May 1st: Conservation Commission will conduct the first of two public hearings on the plan for the modular classrooms.
- The Outreach Team is taking a brief break. Look for the next blog post on May 5th!