Here comes the sun (eventually)
SAVE THE DATE: ANNUAL TOWN MEETING SATURDAY, MARCH 26TH – in the renovated Auditorium!!!
As the Lincoln School renovation progresses, the project team is planning for the complicated logistics required to bring it to a close. Four major pieces of the puzzle are: 1) installation of the photovoltaic (PV) system; 2) removal of the temporary classrooms; 3) field restoration; and 4) repaving the road and parking lots. Here is what we know:
- Our 1 megawatt PV system will include rooftop panels and canopies over both parking lots. There will also be a 500 kilowatt battery storage system.
- The PV system is being installed by SunPower. The terms of the contract have been finalized and the rate for solar electricity is locked in for the next 25 years. Many thanks to our negotiation team, (Buck Creel, Jim Hutchinson, and our consultant from Beacon Integrated Systems) and our PPA Subcommittee (Alex Chatfield, Tim Christenfeld, Buck Creel, Jim Hutchinson, Ed Kern, and Peter Watkinson)!
- The photo above shows prep work that was completed in the Middle School parking lot. Work to prepare the Primary School parking lot will begin in May.
- Installation of the PV panels will begin this summer. Supply chain issues have delated the receipt of long lead-time equipment, but the goal is to have the system fully operational by March 2023.
- The School Committee is finalizing an agreement to sell the temporary classrooms for $550,000; the purchasing district needs them in place by the start of school in Fall 2022.
- Removal of the temporary school will begin in July; the temporary parking lot and concrete footers will need to be removed before playing field restoration can begin. Click here to see photos of the installation process we went through starting Summer 2019 through Spring 2020.
- It will take at least 2 growing seasons until the playing fields are ready for use; target is Fall 2023.
- PV installation, removal of the temp classrooms, and restoration of the field are being closely coordinated with the final repaving of the upper portion of the Ballfield Road loop and parking lots. Reminder: the lower portion of the loop will not be repaved as part of the project; will need to be a future town project.
Click here to see the slide deck from the meeting.