The trees are planted and grass is growing! The project punch list is getting smaller, and we can expect to see the photovoltaic panels being installed on the sloped roofs in the next few weeks. Stay tuned – more about the PV system after the December 14th SBC meeting! The November photo gallery is here […]
Answers to the School Project Quiz:
- Answer D: 76% renovation and 24% new construction
- Answer D: Construction started in June 2020
- Answer C: 63 new trees will be planted.
- Answer D: No fossil fuels will be used for hot water, cooking, heating, or cooling, and photovoltaic arrays should produce enough electricity to run the building.
- Answer D: Dining Commons, hubs, preK classrooms are all new features of the building.
- Answer C: Grades 3 – 8 have hub spaces.
Pre Demolition Video: https://vimeo.com/589812683/c098e9f0b9
Demolition of oldest Smith building begins: https://vimeo.com/591219018/39d7063b87
Demolition complete. What’s the pool of water you see? The old Smith boiler room – infamous (former) home of the frogs. https://vimeo.com/589877120/8eddbf49cb
10/18/2020 Blog Post Answer: The white bundles visible in the photo are wrapped packages of insulation. The roof will be getting 10″ of insulation to help create an energy-efficient “skin” on the renovated building.
This machine is drilling “rigid inclusions.” Rigid inclusions are holes that are drilled into the ground, while simultaneously filling the hole with grout. This process compacts the surrounding/adjacent subsurface soils.
Answer to 5/24/2020 Quiz: Over 9000 SF – and will cover about 200 people following social distancing guidelines.
Answer to 6/7/2020 “Just for Fun” – Our thanks to Tony at https://www.aerialboston.com for this great photo!