Next SBC meeting is Wednesday, August 28th, 7pm, Hartwell multipurpose room. Topics include: review 60% CD cost estimates; make value engineering decisions; review energy model.
From Superintendent McFall:
What to expect August 26 through September 18:
Possible impact to activities on the Ballfield Road campus:
NEW! – The Modular Classrooms will be arriving September 9th – 18th! The temporary school building that will house the K-4 school from August 2020 – August 2022 will be developed using modular classrooms that are currently at Hanscom Air Force Base (HAFB). The modular classrooms were used as temporary school facilities while we constructed Hanscom Middle School and Hanscom Primary School and will now be moved to Lincoln and refreshed to create the K-4 portion of the Lincoln School.
To create the temporary school, 37 modular classrooms will be transported from HAFB to the Ballfield Road campus between September 9th and September 18th. The classrooms are large and will be loaded on trucks that will take up most of the roadway as they move from HAFB to Ballfield Road. Our construction team has been developing the logistics of this move with the Lincoln Police Department and HAFB Security Forces. Here are some of the details:
- The modular classrooms will be moved during the night to minimize traffic delays. They will be transported between the hours of 10pm and 5am.
- Police will provide traffic details at key points along the route to assist with traffic control, if necessary.
- 37 modular units will be transported, approximately 6-7 units per night.
- This work will not take place on weekends.
- All modular units will be within the fenced construction area by 6am prior to the arrival of staff and students to the Ballfield Road campus.
- The travel route will go from HAFB to Route 2A, down Bedford Road crossing Route 2 and continuing down Lincoln Road, finally turning onto the Ballfield Road campus (see map below).
- Once on the campus, the modular units will be taken through the Hartwell parking lot and into the fenced construction area (see attached diagram).
- Overnight parking in the Hartwell parking lot will be prohibited September 9 -18.
- Within the fenced off construction zone, the foundation for the modular building will be prepared. The foundation will include piers and a stone pad.
- Excavation will begin to prepare for utilities and laying the foundation for the modular classroom building.
- Preparations for a temporary parking area adjacent to the modular building will begin.
- Parking spaces adjacent to the center field in front of the Brooks entrance may not be available for use.
- There may be minor traffic delays when trucks are delivering materials.
- The northern half of the center field will not be available for use until the end of the project in the fall of 2022.
What Will Not be Impacted:
- The Codman Pool and the Brooks parking lot will be open for regular operation.
- The Lincoln Public Schools Central Offices and Facilities Office will be open for regular business (M-F).
- The Lincoln School main offices will be open.
A Further Look Ahead:
- The northern half of the center field will be occupied by the temporary modular classrooms and will not be available for use until the end of the project in the fall of 2022.
- All students will remain in their current buildings for the 2019 – 2020 school year.
- We do not anticipate major disruptions to drop off and pick up traffic during the 2019 – 2020 school year. Construction traffic will not be allowed during peak traffic times.
Just for Fun
Are you reading this on Lincoln Talk? (If not, thanks for being a subscriber!) Do you want to get a school project update directly from the SBC to your inbox? Enter your email below and click “Subscribe” —SBC Outreach Team